Cleaning Teeth With Braces
Cleaning teeth with braces requires adding a few more steps to your hygiene routine. The good news is that following better oral hygiene habits while wearing braces will set you up for success when they come off!
While wearing braces, you will need to clean your teeth after every meal. That’s because with braces, there are more nooks and crannies for food particles to get stuck in. When left unchecked, these food particles can cause plaque buildup that eventually leads to costly dental issues.
It’s easy to learn how to brush your teeth with braces on. Start by following these simple steps:
- First, rinse your mouth with water or mouthwash to release any food particles that have accumulated in your teeth and braces.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and gently brush at a 45° angle around the brackets and wires. Make sure that you are brushing your teeth from top to bottom.
- With gentle, circular movements, brush around the gum line. Don’t cut corners during this process – you want to make sure you get into all the hard-to-reach spots!
- Time to floss! Thread the floss under the wire, and gently move the floss up and down between the teeth.
- Rinse your mouth out with mouthwash or water, and double-check that you got the tough-to-reach areas. Now you’re done!
The team at Harvey and Thomas Orthodontics is ready to answer any questions you might have about brushing, flossing, and taking care of your braces. Schedule a complimentary consultation with us today!
Caring for Your Braces
Keeping your braces clean is just one step in proper braces care. Making some small lifestyle changes can prevent emergency visits and ensure results that last a lifetime.
Whether or not you’re wearing braces, it’s a smart idea to avoid hard candy, popcorn, taffy, chips, gum, and other food that sticks to your teeth. These foods are especially risky during your braces treatment because they can damage brackets or harm your teeth.
It’s also very important to make sure you keep up with all your orthodontist appointments. Maintaining regular check-ins with our team will help ensure the best possible results from your treatment!
Making these simple lifestyle changes is an easy way to take good care of your braces. Once you establish how to take care of teeth with braces, you’re more likely to have a happy, healthy smile for life!
Learn About Proper Braces Care From Mobile’s Leading Braces Experts
Orthodontic treatment is about much more than simply beautifying your smile. A straight smile is also a healthy smile, and braces can help you establish better dental health for life! Once you know how to take care of your braces, you can be sure that your efforts will create a dazzling smile.
No matter where you are in life, we have many types of treatment for kids, teens, or adults. Embark on your smile journey with the braces experts at Harvey and Thomas Orthodontics. Schedule a complimentary consultation with us today!