Invisalign For the Adult Lifestyle: What You Need to Know
When most adults think of dental procedures aimed at correcting certain issues they're experiencing (like an over or underbite, gaps between teeth or a generally crooked smile), they almost always think of the exact same thing: traditional braces.
With traditional braces, a series of metal brackets are attached to each one of your teeth. Metal wires then connect those brackets together. For a period of about two years, the wire gradually increases in strength - thus moving the teeth from their current position and into the desired one.
In the last decade in particular, Invisalign has emerged as a viable alternative to all of that - bringing with it a wide range of different benefits that most people cannot afford to ignore.
Invisalign uses a series of clear plastic trays that a patient wears for a period of about two weeks. After that, those trays are swapped out for another set that is slightly different. Over the course of the entire treatment (which typically takes about 12 to 24 months or so), the teeth move from their current position into the intended one.
These benefits include but are certainly not limited to ones like:
1. Invisalign trays can be removed for special occasions. This means that if you lead a particularly active lifestyle and play sports, or if you're worried about engagement photos or something of that nature, you can always pop out your trays without having the fact that you were wearing them recorded for all-time.
2. Because Invisalign trays are removable, there are also NO dietary restrictions to speak of. This means that if you want to eat your favorite meal, you can do so freely without worrying about damage to brackets or metal wires like you would with traditional braces.
3. Invisalign also comes with far faster appointments to the orthodontist, too. Any adjustments that need to be made are done so to the trays and NOT to brackets or wires affixed to your teeth, meaning that not only will you go to the orthodontist less frequently - those appointments will be faster, too.
4. Because Invisalign trays are clear, nobody will really know that you're wearing them. This is contrary to braces, which are fairly hard to ignore.
5. All of this for a system that costs about the same as traditional braces - something that will obviously vary depending on the severity of the issues that you're trying to correct.
Caring for Invisalign: It's Easier Than You Think
When you get traditional braces, it's important to understand that those brackets and metal wires are inherently delicate. Something can easily get caught between the brackets (like a piece of corn or some other small food) and either damage the braces or, in a worse case scenario, your teeth.
Invisalign, on the other hand, is essentially the exact opposite of this. All you have to do is remove your clear plastic aligner trays when eating and you can enjoy whatever type of food you want. Just brush your teeth (and always remember to floss) and put your trays back in when you're done.
Whenever you're not using your trays, be sure to put them in their proper case for safe keeping. That way, you don't have to worry about them getting damaged before you switch to a new set.
Likewise, be sure to clean your trays on a regular basis. Beyond that, you really don't have much to worry about - which is exactly the way you want it.